tiistai 23. kesäkuuta 2015

Many ways of using Facebook

ELLA HÄRKÖNEN
ASSIGNMENT 3

Other than being just a place to share your photos and thoughts, Facebook is also a great place to get advertised.
A lot of companies have taken advantage on that. Like Michaela mentioned on her blog post on the same subject, it IS a completely waste of marketing if a company doesn't have an informative Facebook-page.
What makes Facebook such a great marketing platform is the cheapness of it. It simply costs nothing for the company to update its Facebook page (well, the person doing that is getting paid, which is an expense, but you got the point!) and it is easy to do it. It also reaches people really fast! For example if a company is having a one day sales, it can just be informed in Facebook and people see it quickly.

What personally annoys me though, is how full of advertisements Facebook is this day. However, it blabs about something important: companies do use Facebook. I did a school assignment on Facebook and its innovative journey two years ago and was surprised of its corporate side. Companies are in a big role of Facebook so getting something "back" from it is the point of their usage.

The company, whose Facebook page I took a closer look is Coca-Cola. They have over 90 million people liking their page, which means that 90 million people gets updates of their favorite beverage company at least once a day.


What I think that is special about Coca-Cola's Facebook page is that even though it is an American company, they have people in Finland doing marketing in Finnish. It would have been easy for them to just do mass-marketing in English, but instead do it with each country's language.

All of the different Coca-Cola products (for example Coca-Cola Light etc.) have their own pages. A fan of Coca-Cola Zero can find new updates from its own page. I find this to be neat!

Using social media in job search

For the year 2014 I had two goals: open a Twitter account and make a professional LinkedIn- profile. I succeeded with both of my goals so now in 2015 I am reading other people's Tweets and getting emails daily from LinkedIn.

I witness job opportunities pretty frequently in social media -in Facebook and obviously LinkedIn- but haven't applied to any job through them yet. If I were to search for the job, I would totally picture myself searching through social media as well.



3 kommenttia:

  1. Even though I don't like Coca-Cola, a big thumbs up for them for doing marketing in Finnish!

    VastaaPoista
  2. “What personally annoys me though, is how full of advertisements Facebook is this day.” I agree! But hey – of course there has to be serious business behind all those “free” things you can do – and because of that advertising has increased so much.

    You said that you haven't applied to any job through social media – same here – I have Twitter and LinkedIn accounts and I get some notifications of jobs that might interest me, but that's it. Next step is really to start using LinkedIn for job searching.

    -Mira-

    VastaaPoista
  3. I tink that we maid bargain with the devil when we thought social media was "free". Facebook is big company and they have to pay everything so... adds are the bad we have to pay.

    VastaaPoista