tiistai 16. kesäkuuta 2015

Blogs and businesses

ELLA HÄRKÖNEN
ASSIGNMENT 2, PART 1

A confession: I LOVE food. My favorite kind of day is one where I have time to go on a market, buy fresh and local ingredients and cook a delicious supper. Cook while listening to Ed Sheeran, perhaps having a glass of wine and just relaxing and making something heavenly good. Oh yes, Hi everyone, I am Ella, and I am addicted to great food.

Jokes aside- since I love cooking, I keep browsing for new ideas online. An essential for my requirements is that everything I make and consume HAS to be fresh. I am a celiac and hence by allergic to many things and since already watching what I am eating I have made a decision to always choose a healthy choice. I have been fortunate enough to travel and live almost everywhere in the world and honestly, my favorite parts have been discovering new delicious things (please don't tell anyone that while doing my hike at Himalayas, I ONLY ate rice, that would ruin my reputation!)

So when combining healthy and fresh with new frisky ideas, I go to Whole Foods food blog: Whole Story. They have great recipes, quality photos and fun text. It is visually satisfying to browse through the blog and the recipes are SO good! Warning: do not look at the blog when hungry.


When having a company blog it is essential to make it reflect your company's business. When I worked at the Embassy of Finland in Kathmandu, our blog was pretty dull. But you know what, it simply had to be to gain respect. No one would have trusted the word of an Ambassador if he would have posed in a swimming suit and discussed about what he had for lunch that day.

In case you are a young, fun company -such as Whole Foods- you have a niche to play around a little bit more: use twisting sayings and make the people drool with the photos. It's all about the business you are at.

Being a visual person, I think that photos and the lay out is the key. These days people don't have that much time to read kilometer long blog posts (yet I am writing one again...) so photos has to be clear and quality ones.

So looking at the bad example next...

I mentioned I am a celiac, right? So, Schär owns a big market share in gluten free items in Europe. When finding a food brand, I love looking at the recipes at their websites and blogs to get more out of the ingredients. And this is what happened:


Wa-wa-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Italian or German, seriously? I love how their motto is: We care. In English.

Turns out that more important than big luminous photos or fun witty text is actually the language. If a multinational-company is failing to provide texts in English, so be it.

Company blog can be a deal breaker in so many ways. The worst scenario in my opinion is to start a blog and not update it (or start one and not having it in English). NOTHING is worse than seeing a text: updated in 2012. Having a clear, accessible blog can help companies to boost their business and win more customers!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti